Technology for Students
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Information
As you look to make a device purchase for your son, please use these requirements to help you with your purchase.
Please note that some of the devices you’ll see in the market are called “2 in 1,” as they can also function as tablets. These devices are perfectly acceptable. Traditional laptops with touchscreens have been acceptable, however, your son may find that they DO NOT meet the needs for every class and provide the best experience. Our hope is that these devices will be able to last your son throughout his time at St. Xavier. Purchasing an extended warranty/insurance will help ensure that the device can last. Should you have any questions about purchasing a device, please contact the St. Xavier IT department via email at email@example.com or phone at 513- 761-7600x231.
If you are interested in the financial aid process for devices, please contact the Admissions office.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7
- Memory: 8GB minimum, 16 GB strongly recommended
- Hard Drive: 128 GB or more
- Display type: Touchscreen LED (must work with a stylus)
- Operating System: Windows 10 or 11
- Ports: Headphone | USB-C or [USB 3.0 and video out (HDMI)]
- Physical keyboard (either attached or Bluetooth)
- Battery: 8 hours after a full charge
- Purchase an extended warranty/accidental damage protection for the times when something is broken.
- Current and active antivirus/anti-malware protection
- At this time, our requirement for touch screen capability excludes the Apple laptops. Should Apple release laptops with that capability, they will be considered for addition to the list.
- When your son begins at St. Xavier, he will be given an Office 365 account. This will allow him to download Microsoft Office for free. He will also have access to the Adobe Suite of products. Please do not buy either of these.
- It is highly recommended to purchase an external battery with enough capacity to recharge your laptop during the school day, free from a power outlet. Example: Anker 537 Power Bank
- At this time, we encourage you to avoid the Lenovo Series of Laptops and the Microsoft Surface Pro X. Further details can be found in the PDF link below.