The Varsity Baseball Bombers traveled to Milford to take on the Eagles in the season opener of the 2018 season. St. Xavier looked to continue the momentum from last season where they finished 22-5 on the season with an outright GCL South Title and a regional finalist finish.
The Bombers offense scored 1 run in the top of the 3rd inning and 1 run in the top of the 5th inning to score 2 runs which was just enough as the St. Xavier pitching was outstanding only allowing 1 run. Senior Nathan Kappers drove in sophomore Tucker Hundley for the game winning run with a 2 out base hit in the 5th inning. St. Xavier had 4 hits on the day but left 7 runners stranded.
Sophomore Wyatt Hudepohl started the game on the mound for the Bombers and finished with 4 innings pitched giving up an unearned run and 2 hits. He struck out 6 and walked only 1. He ended up with the win to move to 1-0 on the season. Senior Drew Klare finished the last 3 innings without allowing a base runner and struck out 4 batters for his 1st save of the season.
The Bombers start the season 1-0 with their home opener scheduled for Tuesday, March 27 at 4:30 pm vs. Turpin HS. The first GCL South game of the season is scheduled for Wednesday, March 28 at 5 pm vs. Moeller at home.
- Hudepohl earned his 2nd career Varsity victory and hit 91 MPH on the gun.
- Kappers, an IU commit, started the game in RF and finished 1 for 3 at the plate with 1 RBI. He also used his strong arm to record an assist to first base on a ball that looked like a base hit. He will look to make his first pitching start of the season on Wednesday vs. Moeller.
- Klare faced the minimum amount of batters (9) in 3 innings and forced 4 ground ball outs with the 4 strikeouts.
- Hundley finished the game 2 for 3 at the plate as the lead-off hitter with a double down the left field line in the 3rd inning to advance senior Mitchel Lutz to third base who then scored on senior Grant Kirby's ground ball to score the 1st run for the Bombers. Hundley walked in the 5th inning to reach base before advancing and scoring on Kappers' game winning hit.
- Sophomore Hank Thomas earned his first career Varsity start at 3B and then recorded his first career Varsity hit with an opposite field double in the 6th inning. He played on the Freshman team last season but looks to be a major contributor on Varsity this season.