Companion Scholars Program
The primary mission of the program is to prepare non-traditional middle school students with the academic and social skills necessary to succeed in the academically rigorous college preparatory curriculum at St. Xavier High School.
The Companion Scholars Program (CSP) is an academic enrichment program developed by St. Xavier High School for selected young men in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades from various Cincinnati area schools. The program has two components: the Year Round program and the Summer program.
Year Round Program
St. Xavier High School partners with six local middle schools that primarily serve students from moderate to lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Sixth, seventh and eighth grade boys are selected by their schools to participate based on grades, behavior, and potential leadership skills. St. Xavier students provide weekly tutoring and mentoring to the CSP students at their schools. CSP students are invited to monthly academic enrichment days on St. Xavier's campus which include a variety of academic lessons, motivational speakers and activities, and social time with their tutor/mentor. CSP students and their families are also invited to several social functions at St. Xavier throughout the school year. The current partner schools for the year round program include:
- Corryville Catholic
- Hartwell School
- St. Francis Seraph School
- Winton Hills Academy
The Summer Companion Scholars Program is an academic enrichment program developed by St. Xavier High School for any high achieving African American, Hispanic, multicultural or low income young men currently in the sixth or seventh grades from any Cincinnati area school.
The academically rigorous four-week summer program is designed in the following way: Mornings consist of four academic classes taught by St. Xavier faculty and other experienced teachers in the areas of math, science, reading and writing. Afternoons consist of a homework period, an elective course, along with a Physical Education Class. The full fourth week of the program consists of academic field trips. Students take educational field trips to a variety of off-campus sites such as underground Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Zoo, Great American Ballpark and Museum, and a Canoe/Rafting Trip. The program concludes with a field day, family cookout and awards celebration.
The Summer Companion Scholars Program has a competitive admissions process with a limited number of spots. Each student is evaluated based on his grades, teacher recommendations, standardized test scores and leadership potential. Students who demonstrate that they are smart, active learners, nice and hardworking will be admitted to the program. Each student will be evaluated on the merits of his application and admission is not guaranteed from one year to the next. The CSP goal is to create a culture where smart, multicultural young men thrive.
Summer Program Highlights
- Academic and social mentoring from multicultural college students
- Academic courses taught by St. Xavier High School faculty and other professional teachers
- An experiential learning week focused on educational field trips
- Generous opportunities for students to have fun during the school day
- Daily supervised homework time as well as independent homework is expected
- Significant Advantage in St. Xavier High School Admissions Process
Summer 2019 Details - DEADLINE EXTENDED - Applications still being accepted.
- Dates: June 3 – June 27
- Students attend from 8:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. each day and are expected to be present for all four weeks.
- Registration fee is $100. Financial aid is available by emailing John Ravenna at email@example.com.
- Daily transportation to and from St. Xavier is not provided, but we provide assistance in coordinating carpools between families.
- Application materials available for download:
- Application materials available for download (Spanish):
- For more information or questions contact: John Ravenna at 513.761.7815 ext. 525 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Jill Malik at 513.761.7815 ext. 526 or email@example.com.