It’s always hard to say goodbye to our Seniors, but the Spring Choral Concert is always a great send off! The evening was filled with one showstopping performance after another and many strong soloists were featured within the songs!
The X-Men started off the evening’s program with “Cantate Domino” and Mozart’s “Ave verum corpus”. They even had accompaniment by St. Xavier’s newest musical group, the Percussion Ensemble, on a Haitian song “Pye Aleman”. The Percussion Ensemble, led by Mr. Dave Thomas, also performed "Excalibur" as their concert debut.
Ensemble X showed off their impressive vocal range with performances of “Good Old A Cappella”, a more traditional version of “Cantate Domino”, “The Long Day Closes” and the spiritual “Joshua”.
Choral Director Dr. Jeff Stern spoke to the audience midway through the performance and thanked the Music Boosters and all the parents who volunteered their time to help the music program succeed over the past years. He also announced awards for the past year and the following students were recognized:
- Freshmen of the Year: Callahan Geoppinger and Evan Young
- Sophomores of the Year: Austin Emmons and Nate Trajano
- Juniors of the Year: Ben Deming, JT Ruhnke and Adam Moorman
- Seniors of the Year: Dayne Goss and Ryan Dwyer
- Fr. John Ferone, SJ Award for outstanding attitude and achievement of the goals of St. X: Tyler Gilkey
- Robert Shaw Memorial Award for outstanding leadership in musical skill and ability: Nate Wilkens
- Walter C. Deye SJ Award for a Senior who exhibits superior musical development (chosen by all three music directors - Mr. Watras, Mr. Thomas and Dr. Stern): Robert Anderson
The evening wrapped up as tradition with Dr. Stern inviting Alumni in the audience to come up and join the X-Men for the final two songs “Do You Fear The Wind” and “Ride the Chariot”.
Thank you to Dr. Jeff Stern, Mr. Dan Dery and Mr. Dave Thomas for their hard work and dedication to our musical Bombers!